This is one of over 1,300 monuments on the battlefield grounds – most of which are available for performances and wreath-laying ceremonies.
Two cannons and a granite monument identify where Dow’s 6th Maine Battery fired on Confederate soldiers during the Battle of Gettysburg in July 1863. Located on Hancock Avenue at Gettysburg National Military Park, the monument was carved from granite quarried in Hallowell, Maine. The five black cannonballs atop the monument were carved from black granite quarried in Addison, Maine. In November 1888, Maine politicians and war veterans traveled to Gettysburg to dedicate this and other monuments, which were financed by the State of Maine.